Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hero

People always ask me why I wanna be a psychologist when I'm older, why I try so hard to help others fit in while not really caring if I do.

It's because Josh died. I watched him linger in pain for months before he passed away, and I was helpless to do anything except pray and hope God was hearing every word I was saying. I wasn't a doctor. I couldn't give him transfusions, medicines, couldn't dull the pain of countless surgeries, couldn't advise him on his choices.

But I could pray. I could ask God to help him through the pain if not save him. I guess God had other plans, because on the 29th of May 2010, he left this world and joined God in another. Or I hope he did.

So this is my answer - I want to be a psychologist because I want to save lives instead of watching them pass. I'm not smart enough to be a doctor. But I know how to help people. I put all my heart and soul into helping people. I can't bear to see people in pain. It infuriates me, because I know someone is the cause of it... and every human on this planet has rights, and one of those rights is to be happy.

Think about it. When you bully someone, you're taking away their right to feel safe and happy. Josh was bullied every year of his life before his cancer for being overweight. And suddenly, he got cancer, and suddenly, everyone was his best friend. Looking for some attention. Seeking some glory. Or maybe just wracked with guilt.

Don't do anything you're not going to be able to live with when you wake up the next day. And don't say something cruel and brush it off as a joke. Because that "joke"? To someone out there, it's an insult, and it hurts. Nobody in my school can honestly say they've never called another student fat, whether they weighed a hundred pounds or three hundred.

So when someone insults you, don't insult them back. It makes you just as low as they are. Just keep your head up. My friends place too much weight on what the so-called "populars" think (you know the clique - the girls that are always stoned, drunk or otherwise intoxicated) that they don't actually bother asking the opinions of their FRIENDS. Too busy trying to impress people who don't actually have the brain cells left to notice anything outside their next drug binge.

Why are these kids seen as "cool"? It's not cool. In a few years when I've graduated university and I'm saving lives and doing something constructive with my time, they'll still be here, in this judgmental hole of a town and still getting drunk and cursing the world and anyone who'll listen for letting them down.

THOSE PEOPLE LET THEMSELVES DOWN.

But if they came to me asking for help, would I do it? Yeah, I would. Because people who can recognise the fact they need it generally are the ones who want to get better. And the right to seek help at any point in life is another basic human right that so many are denied.

Bullying can drive people to suicide. Lives taken far too soon. Can you imagine what it would be like, being so scared, depressed, and alone all the time that you would literally rather die than go on, face your tormentors another five seconds? The pain, the guilt, you experience, knowing what you're doing to your family, helpless to stop feeling what you are?

What if it were you? Wouldn't you want someone to step in and save you? Doesn't anybody want to save a life?

[No one talks to him about how he lives
He thinks that the choices he makes are just his
Doesn't know he's a leader with the way he behaves
And others will follow the choices he's made
He lives on the edge, he's old enough to decide
His brother who wants to be him is just nine
He can do what he wants, because it's his right
But choices he makes change a nine year old's life
Heroes are made when you make a choice

You could be a hero
Heroes do what's right
You could be a hero
You might save a life
You could be a hero
You could join the fight
For what's right, for what's right, for what's right

Little Mikey D was the one in class
Who every day got brutally harassed
This went on for years
Until he decided that never again would he shed another tear
So he walked through the door
Grabbed the 44 off his father's dresser drawer
And said "I can't take life no more"
And like that, a life can be lost.
But this ain't even about that!
All of us just sat back and watched it happen!
Thinking it's not my responsibility to solve a problem that isn't about me
THIS IS OUR PROBLEM!
This is just one of the daily scenarios
In which we choose to close our eyes
Instead of doing the right thing
If we make a choice we can be the voice
For those who won't stick up for themselves!
How many lives could be saved, changed, and rearranged?
Now it's our time to pick a side!
So don't just keep walking by
Don't wanna intervene
Cause you just wanna exist and never be seen
So let's wake up
Change the world
OUR TIME IS NOW!]

-a solitary blue

3 comments:

  1. I think that is a wonderful reason to become a psychologist!! May God bless you, Ayla!!

    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd had a friend like you in the ninth grade... I did feel alone, and so hurt I wanted to die instead of live, but it wasn't because of bullying from my peers-it was because of my psychologically abusive father. I'm still dealing with it today, still living in this house, but only because I'm lucky. God stopped me on that balcony that day, made me see people, my classmates, smiling and laughing... and then I thought about how selfish it was to take that happiness away from them, how my death would hurt them... he didn't even make me think of my close friends, it was people I never really spoke to, people I didn't think about... I can't really explain it. But I'm one of the lucky ones, just to be alive, even though I struggle with wanting to be sometimes. And you have the passion to help people, such incredible empathy… I truly believe that you will make a huge difference in the hearts of many, as long as you just keep following your own :). I'm sorry about Josh, that he was treated as he was… and you're 100% right about 'the populars' and their lack of a future because of their current idiocy… it is a shame that people destroy their own lives like they do, and it is my greatest fear that when I am faced with a huge challenge I will let myself down and live the rest of my life in regret because of it. Anyway, Ayla, incredible post-and I truly admire and respect you… I consider some people friends, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have deep seated respect for them-I do for you though. Your heart is in the right place and your head is on your shoulders, and you have a fire within you that is really amazing :). Wishing you well,

    ReplyDelete