Sunday, November 7, 2010

As it is :)

So life is really good at the moment! I'm feeling really upbeat at the moment, and I finally have some deb pictures to post! Reminder - a deb is like a prom but much more formal and a much bigger deal out here than anything. We spend literally months preparing for this, and only twelve girls per year get to do the deb. It's seen as the night where a girl makes the transition from teenager to woman.

I only have 2 weeks of school left and then 3 months of holidays! WOOT WOOT!

Summer is here! Reorganising the wardrobe! Goodbye winter coat, hello sweet summer dress!

[We're halfway there, we're looking good now
And nothing's gonna get in the way
We're halfway there
And looking back now I never thought that I'd ever say
We're halfway there!]

Summer always cheers me up. It's literally a breath of fresh air. I don't think anybody understands how truly happy it makes me to be able to shoot people with a water pistol and swing off the metal railing of our bungalow and into the pool and send water everywhere. I think they underestimate how healing it is.

Autumn is for shedding old skins. Winter is for rest. Spring is for growth. Summer is for renewal. Summer for me has always been the best time of the year, because while I appreciate being able to curl up under a million blankets with hot chocolate and read I LOVE the sun and I love the wind and I love how it feels like everything is so alive!

Sixteen to seventeen has been the best year of my life so far. I feel like somewhere along the way I stopped being a girl and started being a woman and I like the change. Maybe that change came when Brendan spun me in circles in my white dress all over a dance floor in front of hundreds of people.

[Wait a minute, before you tell me anything
How was your day?
Cause I've been missing you by my side
Did I awake you out of your dream?
I'm sorry but I couldn't sleep
Coming down there's something about the sound of your voice]

I thought that to be happy I didn't need a man to save me, and I don't think I need a man to save me now. But I would like one. I really would. And I think when I did my deb this year, he was the one there when I became that woman.





I felt like the most beautiful girl alive the night of my deb even though the other girls were just as pretty or prettier. I was impervious to all the whispers and I didn't care that everyone was watching - I wanted them to watch. I wanted them to see what I could do. That I'd learned to dance with someone just as hopeless as me.

This, undoubtedly, was the most beautiful night of my life, and the night that I changed completely. I grew and realised that inside and out I was a good, beautiful person, that I didn't have to worry about what other people thought.

Bleah Briann's right - there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a princess.

-a solitary blue

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for your happiness, enjoy it and make it last! lol, I find it funny that I'm getting out my winter coats and am curled up in sweatpants right now, while you're getting ready for summer! "I thought that to be happy I didn't need a man to save me, and I don't think I need a man to save me now. But I would like one. I really would"-sounds like you're reading my mind... Wow, you look absolutely beautiful!!!(and I don't compliment anyone unless it is entirely true-not a fan of bull). Your hair and your dress and your gloves and the sweet yet confident expression on your face-just beautiful :). "I grew and realised that inside and out I was a good, beautiful person, that I didn't have to worry about what other people thought," I personally think that it is that realization which takes you from child to adult, that self-awareness that makes all the difference. Unfortunately, some people never make that leap-they live their entire lives the prisoners of others' opinions… it is sad, really. I'm so glad that you have made that realization, and just plain happy for you for everything :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I just tagged you, over here:
    http://reflectionsofelizabeth.blogspot.com/2010/11/two-tags.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you look absolutely gorgeous in these pictures, I mean it.
    The boy you're with is rather cute, too. :)
    I don't quite understand.... Why can only 12 girls each year do the deb? Is this just in the area, or something? Sorry, it's just sort of confusing to me. :x

    I know what you mean by sixteen to seventeen being the best year of your life.... So do I. I've been changing so much this year, I've created so many memories and gone on so many adventures, done things I've never done before... I feel like I'm finally becoming a woman.

    And once again, I have to say how beautiful you are here! I can't get over it! :DD (You're always beautiful, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. only 12 girls can do it from year 11 from each school in australia :) it's because we have to get a dance instructor and he only has time to teach 12 pairs how to dance, and that's assuming they have natural talent hahaha!

    ReplyDelete