Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beauty

So when I was in Melbourne last week I saw the most amazing, coolest thing ever. Me, Enyar, Mum and Uncle Brian (who's not actually my uncle but my dad's best friend) were sitting in the lounge area. There was this huge grand piano there.

Anyway, this little old lady came hobbling up the stairs and she looked about 200. We thought she was homeless because she was soaked from the rain and had this long greasy grey hair and had a little bag on wheels with her.

Well, we kept talking and this little old lady sat down at the grand piano and I wondered whether she was allowed to do that (because it looked like the piano might have been there for decoration, not for play) and just as we were about to get the hotel staff she began to play.

[How the universe began
What the future holds
Why do fools fall in love?
What happens to our souls?]

She was the most amazing piano player I've ever heard in my entire life. It was like listening to a professional. Here was this little old lady who looked like she might have, with all due respect, died any second, who looked like she was homeless, who was playing the piano like she'd been doing it every night of her life since she could even open her eyes.

I've never heard such beautiful music in my life. And then one of the elderly hotel cleaners started singing and I've never heard a nicer voice.

There are people all over the planet who look like they couldn't possibly carry themselves a step and then they start to create all this beautiful stuff - their art, paintings, they start to sing or dance or write and you wonder how do they do that?

[Clues to life's mysteries
Are what we hope to find
Always reaching for a reason
Searching for a sign]

Nobody stopped that little old lady even though she wasn't supposed to be on the piano because the music was so powerful it had everyone completely gripped within it. And I don't think anybody wanted to get free. Everyone wanted to listen. In a way I think the music was the woman's soul coming out of her body; she looked frail but on the inside she was strong.

You never know what people are gonna do until they lay down the final card. Even then you don't know if they're secretly hiding another whole deck beneath their coat or up their sleeves. You never know how far a person can be pushed until they fall over the edge.

I used to have a great friend and she was the best. We were polar opposites in more ways than one - she came from a Turkish family and had an older brother who smoked pot and her parents separated before she turned double-digits. My family is completely stable.

[She saw the bright lights
She caught the fever
Now we're coming back to earth
Oh hey, hello, welcome to the world!]

She took so much crap from so many different people. When I weighed 55 kilos she weight 100. She could handle anything. Her brother beat her up and her dad yelled and told her she was fat and her mother didn't care but she could take anything. She was a beautiful person.

And then she started liking this guy. And this guy didn't like her back. She went out drinking with him and she smoked and did all sorts of drugs. And when she told him she liked him, he told her she was disgusting and that he would never date a girl that looked like her. And she broke. Just like that.

I don't even talk to her anymore. She'd had enough of being the good girl that everyone underestimated, so she turned into the bad girl who everyone was afraid of. And people were afraid of her. And her cousins. I tried to stick by her but then people wondered why. I was guilty by association.

[You sit there on the couch
Sipping your scotch and ice
You turn the TV on
And tune me out again]

So she told me to leave. When I didn't she did everything she could to make me hate her so I'd go of my own accord and never look back. She told me my family was a joke and that she'd only used me to get to the boy she'd liked and all this other horrible stuff.

I was fourteen and I believed her. We still don't talk that often but when I see her I try to smile at her. She could take all that crap from so many people who were supposed to care for her and then the one person who didn't was the one to break her. I always wonder how such pathetic people manage to worm their way into our hearts.

[So what would you say to me
If you could talk to me
You ask anything, I wouldn't lie
But you're okay with this damaging awkwardness
So I'll just play it safe, keep it inside]

It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks so long as God looks down upon you and smiles. If you know you're a good person, and God knows you're a good person, why should you listen to what anybody else has to say?

Because they're our friends and family and we want them to believe in us. It took a long time for me to start believing in myself. For some people I don't think it ever happens. But you have to believe in yourself to be able to believe in Him. He never gives up on us, even when we claim He's not there or whatever.

A lot of people I know ask for proof that He exists. I just tell them to look around. How could anything so beautiful have evolved from single-celled organisms? It didn't. He was there. He made us and loves us and believes in us even when we fail in every way possible. His love was so great He sent His son to die on the cross for us.

[I look beyond the empty cross
Forgetting what my life has cost
Can I be the one to sacrifice?
Or grip the spear and watch the blood and water flow?]

There are so many things in life we take for granted. There are so many things that every day we forget to thank Him for. We walk, and we breathe, and we can feel the sun on our face. We know of birds soaring hundreds of miles above our heads, and of creatures of the deep that swim below us, and creatures that live in the forests - forests we're cutting down. Destroying.

He must feel every death like a dagger to the heart and yet He still lives within us and breathes new life into us every day, and when all is said and done, He is the one who takes us with open arms and allows us to return home, because He loves us with all that He is.

[To love you, take my world apart
To need you, I am on my knees
To need you, broken on my knees]

Despite what we are, who we are, He is there for us every day, listens to our sorrows and triumphs, knows our pain and suffering and joy and euphoria, embraces us as all we are and all we ever will be and never lets us slip, not once. He does not let us slip. We let each other slip. We let ourselves slip.

But He's always there to pick us back up, set us back on the right path, showing us which way to go. He loves us because we are. Not because someday you might jump in front of a bullet to save a pregnant lady. Not because someday you yourself might carry the next president or messiah within you. But because we're there. Our existence is enough reason for Him to see fit to love us.

[All said and done I stand alone
Amongst remains of a life I should not own
It takes all I am to believe
In the mercy that covers me]

So why isn't that reason enough for ourselves to love each other? Every day we lie to our friends and family, people steal and cheat and lie and they never own up to it and they certainly never take the punishment. Every day some poor girl is raped or some boy murdered and thrown in a ditch and their attackers are only sentenced to a few months in jail and then a good behaviour bond.

What? Good behaviour bond? I thought the general idea of being a murderer means you aren't well behaved at all! But apparently courts don't know that. We're letting it happen. We're letting all this suffering spread. Kids in Africa would have more than enough food if we stopped eating our weight in McDonald's every year.

Kids in India might actually have enough space to move - if first-world countries weren't so selfish with their immigration processes. Racial purity is a load of bull. We're all people so what's it matter?

[To rid myself of all but love, to give and die
To turn away and not become
Another nail to pierce the skin of one that loves
More deeply than the oceans
More abundant than the tears
Of a world embracing every heartache]

If it doesn't matter to God why should it matter to us? God doesn't care who you are or where you come from. If you love Him and Jesus with a heart wide open it guarantees you sanctuary. He loves us so much he sent his son to die for us, to linger on the cross for three days.

That's what love really is.

-a solitary blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment